Friday, October 24, 2014

the books

i have been doing some reading on pregnancy and parenting.

The first book I read was How Eskimos Keep Their Babies warm.  It was a collection of one mother's experiences in different parts of the world. It didn't get too deep into parenting philosophies but was interesting to learn about how children are in other parts of the world.

The next few books were given to me by a friend who has kids.  What To Expect When You're Expecting is in a question and answer format.  I read through what was relevant to me.  If you have a question about your pregnancy, it is probably answered in this book.  She also gave me The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy.  It is a bit dated but some things still apply.  I am still reading the Baby 411 book but this one is not that fun for me.  While reading it, I feel like there is so much to remember.  It includes lots of tables about what weight the baby should be at what age or how much they should eat or how much they should sleep or what developmental milestone they should've reached. Stresses me out.

I also read Bringing Up Bebe and enjoyed it quite a bit. It is one American mother's point of view on French parenting. It is easy to read, funny, and relatable.  I like a lot of the discoveries she documents.  I am not sure I can implement them but the book resonated with me.

Then I read Parenting Without Borders.  Also interesting to read about how other countries deal with parenting.

Some others I want to read are Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, and Happiest Baby on the Block. There are some on my list I might not get to: Brain Rules for Baby, NurtureShock, No Drama Discipline, and The Whole Brain Child.

No comments:

Post a Comment